bean and chicken tacos

I had a fantastic run after work last night and came home to the big decision we all face... what to make for dinner?  I usually go through my routine refrigerator, then freezer, then pantry check.  Yesterday, after completing at least two cycles of this check I decided on bean and chicken tacos.  I had everything on hand plus a ripe avocado to give me inspiration so I thought I'd share.

This is a quick, healthy, and super tasty meal!

What you need...
Frying pan (I prefer one with deep sides and a lid)

1 can pinto beans
2 to 4 oz chicken  
1/2 tsp green garlic* or regular garlic
 
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash (or comparable garlic seasoning)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin

Whole wheat flour tortillas

*The green garlic was something I had on hand and isn't necessary to the recipe.

First...
Spray the bottom of your pan with cooking spray
Turn on the burner to medium low heat

Cut up the chicken into cubes
Toss into the warm pan
Cook until slightly brown and the chicken is no longer pink inside



Then...
Add in the beans with the cooked chicken and increase the heat just a bit.

Also add in your seasonings, stir it up, and add a lid (if your pan comes with one).

Let the beans heat up and allow it to simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes.

Finally...
Heat up your tortillas (either on the stove in a slightly oiled frying pan) or in the micro for about 30 seconds.  Top with your favorite toppings and you're ready to go!


Ideas for toppings...
*Salsa
*Cheese
*Avocado
*Sour cream
*Tomatoes
*Lettuce
*Cooked onions and green peppers





I love this recipe especially because it is so quick and easy but also its healthy!  It's low in sugar, cholesterol, saturated fat, but it's also high in fiber!
This is a great way to save money and make your meat last longer.  I only ate 1 oz of chicken (half of what was in my pan) but the beans really helped to make the meal full and satisfying!

*Note:  These nutrition facts are based on 1oz of chicken per serving and excludes any toppings you may add.  But, just so you know, salsa is only 15 calories for 2 tbsp!!  Yum!

Here are some flowers for your table :)

eacreativephotography.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular Posts