whole wheat, bran, and pecan waffles

Ever since I was a little girl, I would wake up most Saturday mornings with a craving for pancakes, waffles, or french toast. When I was younger, I could usually persuade Mom to whip up a batch of them but, as I got older, the tables turned and soon it was my job to make Saturday breakfast if I wanted it.

This last Saturday morning I woke up with one word on my mind: waffles.  So, with my craving pushing me, I whipped up a batch of my favorite whole wheat waffles with a twist.  I'd love to share my recipe with you for a delicious waffle that will fill you up with yummy goodness!

What you need...
a waffle iron
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp wheat germ
2 tbsp bran flakes
1 3/4 to 2 cups milk (I use non-fat)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
A few "gratings" of nutmeg (a dash)
Pecans*
Flaxseed**

*or any other nut you'd prefer
**optional

First...
Plug in your waffle iron.
Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl and prep your wet.  Once you're ready to go, pour in the wet to the dry and combine with a whisk (or a spoon if you don't have one).  If your batter feels stiff, add more milk to thin it out to your desired consistency.

*Here is where you would add in your chips or fruit if you choose to.

Then...
Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into the hot waffle iron (you can coat with a non-stick spray if your waffles tend to stick).
Baking usually takes between 3-5 minutes but this completely depends on your waffle iron.  One handy tip Mom told me was to watch the steam coming from the iron.  When you can no longer see it, it's time to check the waffle.

Finally...
Top with your favorite toppings and ENJOY!


My topping suggestions...
*Butter & Syrup (obviously)
*Fresh Fruit & Whipped cream 
*Applesauce
*Honey or Agave
*Peanut Butter or Almond Butter with syrup
*Eggs & Bacon (more like a waffle sandwich)

Ideas...
*Use chocolate, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips to jazz up these waffles
*Use fresh (or frozen) blueberries or other berries you enjoy in the badder while cooking!

HELPFUL HINT: Take your leftover waffles (if you have any) and put them in a plastic bag with wax paper in between, then place them in the freezer.  It's like having your own 'eggo waffles' but they are better tasting and better for you!  When you want to eat them, pull them out, toast, and enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts